NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that the Assessor of the Village of Sea Cliff published the Final Assessment Roll of Real Property for the year 2021/2022 on April 1, 2021. A copy of said assessment roll is accessible on the Village of Sea Cliff website.
The deadline to file a complaint on an assessment value from the Tentative Roll was February 16, 2021. The Sea Cliff Board of Assessment Review met on March 18, 2021 at 8PM to review the complaints and decided upon complaints timely filed on said roll.
Property owners that are dissatisfied with the decision of the BAR may seek judicial review of your assessment via:
- Small Claims Assessment Review (SCAR) - only available to:
- Property owners who live in their one, two or three family dwellings that are used exclusively for residential purposes, or
- Owners of vacant land that is not of sufficient size to contain a one, two or three family dwelling
- Requires $30 filing fee
- Information regarding SCAR is available from the New York State Unified Court System
- Tax certiorari proceeding
- Commenced in New York State Supreme Court pursuant to Article 7 of the Real Property Tax Law
- In this case, you may want to consider contacting a private attorney
Deadline for Judicial Review
SCAR and tax certiorari proceedings cannot be initiated prior to publication of the Final Roll and no later than 30 days of the publication of the final assessment roll
The Village will be accepting personal service SCAR and tax certiorari forms, however we recommend obtaining an appointment for service in order to avoid a wait. Alternatively, service will be accepted via US Mail, FedEX, or UPS. The Village requires the original plus one (1) copy of the complaint and supporting documentation, which must be recieved within 10-day of filing. Send documents to: Village Assessor, 300 Sea Cliff Avenue, Sea Cliff, NY 11579.
Where Do My Taxes Go?
We all pay a lot of money in property taxes but is important to recognize that only 14% of a residents taxes go to the Village of Sea Cliff.
If you own a median-priced home in Sea Cliff it’s assessed at about $759,000, you pay $2,670 per year in Village taxes. These tax dollars are used to ensure that a myriad of vital and quality of life services are provided including but not limited to ensuring that:
- Your garbage and recycling are collected, streets are plowed, paved, patched, swept, striped, & signed, curbs and catch basins are maintained.
- Municipal buildings, property and equipment are regularly maintained and kept in good repair. This includes Village Hall, two libraries, the firehouse, and the DPW facility.
- Your seventeen Village Parks and the Village Beach are maintained.
- Your remarkable volunteer fire & EMS department is sheltered, equipped, supported and maintained with a variety of trucks and gear, in order to respond effectively and safely to emergencies.
- Your Building Department, Code Enforcement and Public Safety are working to ensure that the quaint community in which you live is kept safe.
The 2021 / 2022 Tentative Assessment Roll is now available to review (see link on left side of page).